Out of all the resources on campus, arguably one of the most helpful is a given organization’s Facebook Group. From posting about events, to making polls, to connecting all kinds of people, Facebook Groups are the place where you know some Brown student will come in clutch when someone casually posts something random like “Anyone have a Polaroid Rare ScreenShooter (OneStep 600)? Need it for tonight! Please message me!” Though you might not need any more groups to join on Facebook, here are some you should definitely have on your radar:
Your Class & Other Classes’ Facebook Group
- Besides being a member of your own Class, joining other classes gives you three more platforms to promote your event — or to hear about what stuff upper/underclassmen are doing.
Your Concentration DUG
- Join it for the free pizza, or for opportunities to go networking events.
Your Major City
- If you are living in New York, LA, or any big city, there is likely a group for you. Honorable Mentions: Students in X Major City Summer 20XX, Study Abroad in XX 20XX
Sharing is Caring
First-Gens @ Brown
- This group is specifically tailored to students “whose parents did not attend a four-year university.” Posts consist of events, resources, and articles relevant to the First-Gen experience at Brown.
Brown Book Exchange
- Buy, sell, or trade books. This is considerably cheaper than Amazon or Chegg. Plus, no shipping necessary!
Brown University Meal Share
- Self-defined as “a community where students can support each other by sharing meal credits and points…designed to help anyone who would benefit from getting a free meal…we hope this is a healthy, unstigmatized way to help each other out.” Have too many meal credits? Or not enough? Share a meal, take a meal — within the privacy of a Facebook message or text.
Brown University Buying and Selling
- “For people who want to buy stuff from people who want to sell stuff.” ‘Nuff said. Also, “no funny business.”
The Artsy One
- A group for people interested in design within Brown to share pretty much anything. If RISD and CS concentrators had a child, it’d be this Facebook group.
The Badass One
- A bunch of Brown womyn defying gender stereotypes, sharing articles, job opportunities, and events.
The Fun One
Not Listening to Jason Derulo
- “Just a group for fellow enthusiasts of not listening to popular recording artist Jason Derulo.”
The One That Needs to be a Thing
Brown University Concert-Goers
- Can someone please start this? Class of ‘19 has a semi-active group. Be on the lookout for one starting up soon– the Brown community needs it.
The Political One
- This isn’t a Facebook group, but if you’re interested, follow #WatsonFollows2016 on Twitter for updates on candidates’ foreign policy views throughout the semester.
Images via Daniella Balrezo ’18.