Just like any expecting parent, you’re not entirely sure what kind of person will pop into your life. But you want them to feel welcome! Don’t forget to:
- Actually be in the room when they arrive! Don’t be the guy that makes their pre-frosh wait outside for them to come unlock their door. Not only is this super annoying, but the more time they have to examine that weird stain on the carpet of your hall, the less likely they are to come to Brown.
- Remember to set up some kind of sleeping situation on your floor. Hopefully your pre-frosh brought a sleeping bag, but even so, a beanbag, some pillows or even an air mattress (someone in your hall definitely has an air mattress) could help them make the *right* decision about their future.
- Make your room seem 160% cleaner in five minutes by making your bed.
- While you’re cleaning, hide all evidence of your debaucherous lifestyle. Your empty wine bottle shelf/decorative bong may seem cool now, but maybe not so much when your poor little pre-frosh rolls into your room accompanied by eagle-eyed parents not yet ready to release their baby into the wild world of ~college. Plus, you can never be sure what they’re comfortable with.
- That being said, if your hostee is here to party, make Brown seem cool by helpfully providing them with a vodka bottle full of water. This way you seem like the chillest host ever but you can sleep peacefully in the knowledge that your pre-frosh is safe (and the knowledge that you won’t be wiping their puke off your floor later).
- Make conversation with them! Help your pre-frosh seem socially adept by ensuring they are proficient in the Big Three questions: What’s your name? Where are you from? What are you going to concentrate (not major) in?
- Offer to show them around. That campus map is confusing! Plus, guiding them to various events means that it is now totally acceptable for you to partake in some of the free food…
Check out the ADOCH schedule here! And make sure to tell your pre-frosh how much you LOVE Brown.